News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

30 Days of Video Games Thread

Started by BojackHorsefella, April 17, 2018, 12:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

Day 17 - Favorite Console/Handheld

Well this is a tough one. First off, feel free to repeat someone else's answer, because there's only so many answers to go around.

For me, I think I have to go with the Nintendo 64, which is weird. When I was a kid, I sort of hated my N64. I preferred the Playstation, I got bored of a lot of the games from playing them over and over again, and of course when the PS2 came out I immediately sold my N64 so I could pay for it (which is an entirely different story of disappointment and betrayal).

But looking back, the N64 was truly one of the greatest multiplayer consoles ever. As a kid, I didn't really care that much, but looking back now (especially in a time when local multiplayer has all but died and online is king), I wish I had the selections I had on that console.

I actually bought one like, 2 years ago, but it was entirely too difficult to go back to. The graphics are nigh unplayable these days (for some games. Mario 64 still looks great despite the blockiness) and the controls just feel downright weird (how did I ever play Goldeneye?)

But, still. Nostalgia rules and the N64 actually did have a great library of games, plus tons of instant classics: Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Paper Mario, Mario Kart 64, Smash Bros, Mario Party...the list truly goes on and on.

cflnut

Day 17 - Favorite Console/Handheld

The original NES. My dad got one for my sister and I when they first came out and we would literally get into fist fights over who was going to use it. Eventually dad bought a second one just to stop the fighting.

This was to console that hooked me into gaming, I would even skip school just to play games. Mario Bros. 1-3, Castlevania 1-3, Duck Hunt, Legend of Zelda 1 & 2, loved all of them.

I Still have mine, and as far as I know it still works. the unfortunate thing is I don't have a TV that it can be hooked up to anymore.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

Crewe

favorite console? I gather you are seeking nostalgia which is difficult for me because I was a big arcade guy before consoles so with advent of gaming at home, each one was better than the next and I owned every single one of them, even the 3DO.
But id have to go with PS3 I guess, just because of the versatility. During the blu ray phase when that was the new hot medium, it was great to get one of the best blu ray players on the market along with what I thought was the best gaming system. Just a ton of value there for me.

Ill just add, I think my PC gaming days were the most fun. The peak was right around Diablo II time. I was in several Madden football leagues for years, played Diablo religiously, was constantly learning about and upgrading my PC, built my own a couple of times. I made a ton of online friends in different areas through PC gaming, was just a ton of fun.

rollntider

Day 16 - Most innovative game - GTA series, san andreas was my favorite.

Day 17 - Favorite Console - 3DO, yes for real. My wife bought it for me the week before my daughter was born for my birthday. I would hold her to sleep and play 3do. My favorite game was wing commander 3 and shock wave assault. It was awesome for its time. The PSX was better and I eventually shifted, but damn I had some fun on the 3Do

Crewe

BojackHorsefella

Day 18 - Least Favorite Console/Handheld

So, I'm going to say it has to be a console you owned, not one you played one time at your buddy's house or at KB Toys (REMEMBER KB TOYS?!)

Mine's easily the Sega Game Gear. My brother and I were so excited to have it, but as everyone knows by now, that thing ate batteries like crazy. You were lucky to get MAYBE an hour of play time on it, meanwhile our Gameboys would last nearly an entire trip to Florida on like, maybe two sets of batteries, if even.

Sorry for the slightly uninspired topic today, but it's about to be a busy day at work so wanted to get this out of the way so you guys have time for it.

TheNorm

Day 16 - Most Innovative Game

Wing Commander. One of the first games I ever got to play on a PC, bought it cheap since it was already a few years old. The storyline(s), gameplay (I get to be a space fighter pilot? YES) were all new to me and I was hooked. I loved that the story could change depending on how well or poorly your missions went. Had some great games in this series and a not so great movie came out of it.

Day 17 - Favorite Console

The Sega Genesis. Console of choice during undergrad; the Madden, NHL, Street Fighter II and NBA Jam tournaments my buddies and I had were awesome. Brother and I would team up on Streets of Rage and fly through that game. Also remembered the time my brother and I played through a season of NHL 95 trying to win as many games as possible and not knowing about the 128 point glitch until the season was over and us out of the playoffs.  >:(
Ah, the memories. :)
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

KB Toys...wow. Definitely remember that place.

As for least favorite out of ones I've owned? Probably the Game Boy Advance...no backlit screen was a bit of a downer, plus there really weren't many games I was interested in released for it. Playing Super Dodge Ball on it was fun, but other than that? Gave the PSP a shot a few years later but even that didn't hold me for long either.
I just might not be all that into portable gaming in general. Current phones are more than satisfactory for any game I'd want to play on the go.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

The first gameboy, other than tetris i did not like the games on it. It was not until the super gameboy that I enjoyed GB games.

Crewe

Least favorite console.
I can't really think of one I hated that I owned. Handheld gaming was never for me as I was the older crowd when it became a thing so I never owned one except for the Mattel devices in the 70's.
I'll break your rule in order to nominate the Dreamcast though. Never bought it because I knew I'd hate it. That count? 😎

BojackHorsefella

Are those "deal with it" shades, Crewe?

Day 19 - Best Multiplayer Game (online or local)

Wow, there a lot of good choices here.

I think I'm going to go with the first Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. I know CoD and Battlefield and FPS games in general have gotten lazy and plentiful, but back then this game was a freaking beast. Basically what Fortnite is today. .

The levelling up system, the small maps that forced confrontations, kill streak bonuses, it was unreal. It was absolutely mayhem and it was glorious.

I wish I could enjoy these games like I used to, I just don't get into FPS games or play online anymore (stupid paying for PS Plus plus not having a gaming PC anymore). But man, back when this was all the rage, I couldn't stop playing.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on May 05, 2018, 11:48:42 AM
Are those "deal with it" shades, Crewe?

lol nope! Just trying to participate.

For multiplayer, Ill say Burnout paradise. Had a blast, especially with the BSB crewe, good times.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on May 05, 2018, 12:50:59 PM
lol nope! Just trying to participate.

For multiplayer, Ill say Burnout paradise. Had a blast, especially with the BSB crewe, good times.

Remember when we had an NHL league on PS3 with everybody? Zooboy and his Flames and freaking...was it Khabibulin?

cflnut

PSP. I got one when it was released cause I really thought it was going to be great. Between the poor battery life, extremely long recharge time, UMD disc, and lack of support from Sony, this has peen collecting dust sine about 6 months after purchase.

Gotta agree with Crewe, Burnout Paradise, was a blast.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

rollntider

Yeah burnout was awesome, in honor of Nut's trophy I will go with that also.